Most of the fathers and mothers give great importance to the studies of their sons and daughters and are involved to help them, but this help is not always given correctly. We describe some behaviors that could harm children’s education :
- Demanding too much . When too much is demanded of a child, they will feel as though they can never satisfy their parents. As a consequence, their self-esteem can be lowered, generating excessive competitiveness and an intolerance to frustration.
- Do not leave time for leisure . We worry that our sons and daughters learn all the necessary life skills, but sometimes we forget that leisure time is also important when it comes to education. The time they dedicate to leisure helps them to improve their integration in groups, to increase their creativity and sensitivity, as well as to manage their emotions and learn values such as respect or tolerance.
- Do their homework . It is one thing for you to help your sons and daughters to understand how to do their homework and another is for you to finish doing them yourself. That way they won’t learn. Help them understand and reflect so that they can do their homework on their own.
- Not setting an example . If you demand certain rules of conduct from your child, you should always set an example. They will look at you and copy your attitudes, so you must be attentive and act being consistent with what you are trying to teach.
- Have no interest in school . It is important that parents are involved in learning, that they understand its importance and participate in meetings with other parents and teachers, meet their children’s friends and accompany them at school events.
- Teach them how you learned . We have all learned differently because the way of teaching has evolved and the methods are not the same as when we went to school. If your son or daughter is being taught with a certain method, respect it and do not try to implement your own method because you will confuse them and you could create a conflict with the school.
- Don’t reinforce positively . Recognize a job well done by your son and daughter, you don’t need to continually reward them, you can do simple things like congratulate them in front of the family, so that they feel supported and motivated. On some special occasion you can reward him, for example, by cooking his favorite dish and taking him to a place he likes.
Benefits of parental involvement in children’s education
– Improvement of school performance . When parents participate in the education of children, their school performance increases. For example, reading with them will increase their reading comprehension and they will be motivated to read more.
– Improved parent-son or daughter communication . Spending time with our sons and daughters improves communication and creates an atmosphere of trust. If your son or daughter has a problem, they will tell you about it and you can help them.
– Increased motivation . When a child receives the support of their parents in education, their motivation to continue learning increases and they enjoy acquiring new knowledge. You will not see study as a punishment or as something negative.
– Reduction of absenteeism . Absenteeism is a big problem and is related to school failure. When parents are interested in the education of their children and take an active role, absenteeism and school failure are reduced.
Not all children have the same opportunities in education
Despite the fact that education is a right recognized in many international instruments, due to poverty many children in the world cannot attend school because they need to obtain resources for their families and must work.…